This document details the steps neccessary to upgrade an existing InstantKB.NET v1.2 installation to InstantKB.NET v1.3.
Upgrading to version 1.3 will not erase any existing data within your database however please follow these instructions carefully as we cannot be held reasonable for any loss. If you have performed custom modifications to your knowledge base and you wish to upgrade please contact email@example.com and detail your changes. These upgrades are not easy and we would require as much information as possible to assist.
We would certainly suggest you print this document and read in full before performing any software upgrade.
- Execute and install the latest v1.3 MSI package on a development / testing server using the MSI installation package.
During the installation process you will have the opportunity the create the new InstantKB.NET v1.3 database locally. If your upgrading from v1.2 we would suggest you select remote installation of the database scripts at this point. You will need to run the upgrade script manually using enterprise manager or similar tool to upgrade the existing InstantKB.NET v1.2 database schema to the v1.3 schema.
- Once the MSI wizard has complete the installation directory will automatically popup within an instance of Windows Explorer displaying all the new v1.3 files.
- This step is very important please read very carefully. As always if your not comfortable upgrading your existing installation please ensure you back up your current files first or work with this off-line and only upload to a live environment once ready.
With the release of v1.3 the application settings have now moved to a new XML based document called InstantKB.Config. You will be required to enter any existing database connection string into the new InstantKB.config configuration file so it's suggested you note your current v1.2 connection string before overwriting your existing v1.2 web.config.
To begin updating your existing v1.2 installation you will need to copy all the latest InstantKB.NET v1.3 files over the top of your existing v1.2 install. You must replace your existing web.config file with the new web.config file provided with the v1.3 setup. You should select ALL files and folders from the latest v1.3 installation excluding the single folder below and copy all files and folders over the top of your existing v1.2 files.
DO NOT REPLACE YOUR EXISTING ATTACHMENTS DIRECTORY
- Now you have replaced the existing files it's time to update your existing InstantKB.NET v1.2 database to the new database schema.
To-do this you should connect to your existing database and run the database upgrade script against your SQL Server database using Enterprise Manager or similar query tool.
The database upgrade script is located at:
- Once you have replaced all your existing files with the v1.3 files and updated your existing database you should add your existing database connection string to the InstantKB.Config file within Notepad or similar ACSII text editor. The only setting you need to amend is InstantKB_ConnectionString which sets the connection string to use to connect to your SQL Server database. If you have a connection string you used previously for v1.2 you will simply need to replace the v1.3 connection string with your existing connection string.
- If your using Windows 2000 or XP you must ensure the [MACHINENAME\ASPNET] account has write and modify access to the files and folders listed below. If your running Windows 2003 Server you must ensure the [MACHINENAME\NETWORKSERVICE] account has write and modify access to the files and folders listed below.
- Attachments (Folder)
- Logging (Folder)
- InstantKB.config (File)
- You should now attempt to access your upgraded knowledge base installation from a web browser. Providing you have replaced all the existing v1.2 files with the new v1.3 files, setup the new InstantKB.Config file and run the database upgrade script the upgrade should be successful.
- If you receive a message detailing you don't have a valid license for your domain please submit a request from within My.InstantASP for your license to be added to your account.
Should you experience any problems please don't hesitate to submit a support ticket or contact us we will do our very best to assist. Please remember we can only offer limited support if you have made heavy modifications to the original v1.2 code-base however we will do our very best to assist with any questions.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!