This article details the steps necessary o upgrade from InstantKB 2014-1 to the InstantKB 2015 release. Before upgrading your existing InstantKB 2014 installation to a newer version of InstantKB please ensure you read our InstantKB 2015 Breaking Changes article.
Downloading InstantKB 2015
To begin your InstantKB 2015 download you'll need to visit your My.InstantASP account. Visit your "Licenses" page and click the "Download" button to the right of the InstantKB 2015 listing.
Once you've downloaded the ZIP file please extract the contents of the ZIP file to your local computer or web server desktop.
Upgrading Your InstantKB 2014 Database
Before you begin the database upgrade please ensure you create a backup your InstantKB 2014-1 database. Whilst it's highly unlikely you'll encounter any problems running our upgrade script it's always best practice to take a full back-up of your current InstantKB database before running our upgrade script.
We would also suggest performing any upgrade locally or within a staging environment to familiarize yourself with the process. We would not suggest applying the upgrade directly into production without first testing the upgrade process locally.
The basic steps to upgrade are listed below...
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect to your InstantKB 2014-1 database. Make a backup of your existing InstantKB 2014-1 database R
2. Restore your InstantKB 2014 back-up under a new name, for example "InstantKB2015". We will run our upgrade script against this new database to add the new tables and stored procedures required for our 2015 release whilst keeping all your existing data.
3. Again within SQL Server Management Studio goto File > Open and navigate to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\InstantKB2015\DatabaseScripts\UpgradeScripts\. You will need to open the "2014-1_to_2015.sql" file.
4. Again within SQL Server Management Studio ensure your restored database is selected within database drop down list within the SQL Server Management Studio toolbar. Once your sture you have your restored database selected execute the 2014-1_to_2015.sql script against your restored InstantKB 2014-1 database. You will see a message "Query Executed Successfully".
At this point your restored InstantKB 2014-1 database has been upgraded to InstantKB 2015. You can now point a fresh installation of the InstantKB 2015 files to this upgraded database. You'll notice all your existing data is preserved and you can login using the same credentials as before.
Install the InstantKB 2015 files
We would not suggest overwriting the 2014 files with the newer InstantKB 2015 files. You should install the new InstantKB 2015 web application alongside your existing InstantKB 2014 installation during the upgrade process. Once everything is working you can simply rename the folders to siwtch your live site or change the physical path for your web site within IIS.
1. Copy the InstantKB2015 folder to your c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder or alongside your existing InstantKB 2014 folder within production.
2. Ensure the "InstantKB2015" folder is marked as a web application within IIS. If your opening the application via Visual Studio. this is not necessary for local development but will be required for deployment into production.
3. Navigate to your InstantKB 2015 installation within Windows Explorer. You will need to open the web.config file found in the root of your InstantKB 2015 folder within NotePad and update the database connection string to point to your upgraded 2014 database. The default connection string is shown below...
<add name="InstantASP_ConnectionString" connectionString="Server=localhost;trusted_connection=true;database=InstantKB2015;" />
You may need to update this to something like...
<add name="InstantASP_ConnectionString" connectionString="server=YOURSQLSERVERIP; uid=YOURSQLUSERNAME; pwd=YOURSQLPASSWORD; database=InstantKB2015"/>
4. Copy your InstantKB 2014 "Uploads" folder into the root of your new InstantKB 2015 folder. Overwrite the Uploads folder within InstantKB 2015 with your existing InstantKB 2014 uploads folder.
5. Reapply any customizations you may have made to your previous InstantKB 2014 Classic skin to the newer InstantKB 2015 Classic skin.
Upgrading from an older release?
If your upgrading from an earlier version of InstantKB you may need to run additional database scripts. For example if your currently running InstantKB 2.0.1 you would need to run the following scripts in the order shown to fully upgrade your existing 2.0.1 database to the latest 2015 schema whilst keeping your existing data...
You should always install the same version of the InstantKB files to march your database. If your upgrading from an earlier version of InstantKB we would suggest starting with the new InstantKB 2015 download and not attempting to point your existing files to a InstantKB 2015 database.
Copy Existing Uploads Folder
Copy your existing "Uploads" folder from your existing InstantKB 2014 installation folder into the root of your InstantKB 2015 folder. You will be prompted to overwrite the empty "Uploads" folder provided within the InstantKB 2015 installation. When prompted overwrite the empty InstantKB 2015 Uploads folder with your existing InstantKB 2014 Uploads folder. This will ensure uploads, profile pictures & images embedded within articles are still displayed correctly.
If you don't copy the uploads folder profiles images & images embedded within articles may not appear after the upgrade.
The web.config file has changed quite substantially with 2015. For this reason we would suggest starting with the new InstantKB 2015 web.config file and not trying to add the newer 2015 tags to your existing InstantKB 2014 web.config file.
You will need to copy the database connection string from your existing InstantKB 2014 web.config and use this within your new InstantKB 2015 web.config.
We hope you enjoy the 2015 update. Should you have any questions or feedback please open a support ticket, contact us or post your questions within our community forums.