This article details the steps necessary o upgrade from InstantKB 2011-2 to the latest InstantKB 2014 release. If you're eligible you can download the InstantKB 2014 update from https://my.instantasp.co.uk/MyLicenses.aspx
You'll need to click the small "Download" link next to the InstantKB 2014 listing to begin the download. Once you've downloaded the ZIP file for this example please extract the contents of the ZIP file to your computers desktop.
To learn more about the file & folder structure please read the blog post below...
Before you begin the database upgrade please ensure you create a backup your InstantKB 2011-2 database.
The database upgrade script may take a couple of minutes to complete depending on the amount of data you have within your existing database. If a power or network failure occurs whilst running the upgrade script against the database it may not be possible to restore your data. For this reason we would strongly suggest creating a backup of your database before attempting to run our upgrade script.
We would also suggest performing any upgrade locally or within a staging environment to familiarize yourself with the process. We would not suggest applying the upgrade directly into production without first testing the upgrade process locally.
The basic steps to upgrade are listed below...
1. Copy the InstantKB2014 folder to your c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder
2. Ensure the InstantKB2014 folder is marked as a web application within IIS
3. Make a backup of your existing InstantKB 211-2 database
4. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect to your InstantKB 2011-2 database. Select your InstantKB 2011 database back-up.
5. Within SSMS goto File > Open and navigate to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\InstantKB2014\DatabaseScripts\UpgradeScripts\.
Run the "2011-2_to_2014.sql" upgrade scripts against your restored backup.
6. Navigate to your 2014 installation in Windows Explorer. You will need to open the web.config file in NotePad and update the database connection string to point to your upgraded 2011 database. The default connection string is shown below...
<add name="InstantASP_ConnectionString" connectionString="Server=localhost;trusted_connection=true;database=InstantKB2014;" />
You may need to update this to something like...
<add name="InstantASP_ConnectionString" connectionString="server=YOURSQLSERVERIP; uid=YOURSQLUSERNAME; pwd=YOURSQLPASSWORD; database=InstantKB2014"/>
7. Reapply any customizations you may have to the updated 2010 Classic Skin.
Upgrading from an older release?
If your upgrading from an earlier version of InstantKB you may need to run additional database scripts. For example if your currently running InstantKB 2.0.1 you would need to run the following scripts in the order shown to fully upgrade your existing 2.0.1 database to the latest 2014 schema...
Copy Existing Avatars & Profile Pictures
Copy your existing "Uploads" folder from your existing InstantKB 2011 installation folder into the root of your InstantKB 2014 folder. This will ensure profile pictures, images embedded within articles & avatars are still displayed correctly.
If you don't copy the uploads folder profiles images & images embedded within articles may not appear.
The web.config file has changed quite substantially with 2014. For this reason we would suggest starting with the new InstantKB 2014 web.config file.
We hope you enjoy the 2014 update. Should you have any questions or feedback please open a support ticket or post your comments / questions within our community forums.