This article details the steps necessary o upgrade from InstantKB 2015-2 to the InstantKB 2016 release. Before upgrading your existing InstantKB 2015 installation to a newer version of InstantKB please ensure you read our InstantKB 2015 Breaking Changes article.
Downloading InstantKB 2016
To begin your InstantKB 2016 download you'll need to visit your My.InstantASP account. Visit your "Licenses" page and click the "Download" button to the right of the InstantKB 2016 listing.
Once you've downloaded the ZIP file please extract the contents of the ZIP file to your local computer or web server desktop.
Upgrading Your InstantKB 2015 Database
Before you begin the database upgrade please ensure you create a backup your existing InstantKB 2015-2 database. Whilst it's highly unlikely you'll encounter any problems running our upgrade script it's always best practice to take a full back-up of your current InstantKB database before running our upgrade scripts.
We would also suggest performing any upgrade locally or within a staging environment to familiarize yourself with the upgrade process. We would not suggest applying the upgrade directly into production without first testing the upgrade process locally.
The basic steps to upgrade are listed below...
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect to your InstantKB 2015-2 database. Make a backup of your existing InstantKB 2015-2 database
2. Restore your InstantKB 2015-2 database back-up under a new name, for example "InstantKB2016". We will run our upgrade script against this new restored database to add the new tables and stored procedures required for our InstantKB 2016 release whilst keeping all your existing data.
3. Again within SQL Server Management Studio go to File > Open and navigate to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\InstantKB2016\DatabaseScripts\UpgradeScripts\. You will need to open the "2015-2_to_2016.sql" file.
4. Again within SQL Server Management Studio ensure your restored database is selected within database drop down list within the SQL Server Management Studio toolbar. Once your sure you have your restored database selected execute the 2015-2_to_2016.sql script against your restored InstantKB 2015-2 database. Once complete you will see the message "Query Executed Successfully".
At this point your restored InstantKB 2015-2 database has been upgraded to InstantKB 2016. You can now point a fresh installation of the InstantKB 2016 files to this upgraded database. You'll notice all your existing data is preserved and you can login using the same credentials as before.
Install the InstantKB 2016 files
We would not suggest overwriting the 2015 files with the newer InstantKB 2016 files. You should install the new InstantKB 2016 web application alongside your existing InstantKB 2015 installation during the upgrade process. Once everything is working you can simply rename the folders to switch your live site or change the physical path for your web site within IIS.
1. Copy the InstantKB2016 folder to your c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ folder or alongside your existing InstantKB 2015-2 folder within staging or production.
2. Ensure the "InstantKB2016" folder is marked as a web application within IIS. If your opening the application via Visual Studio. this is not necessary for local development but will be required for deployment into a staging or production environment.
3. Navigate to your InstantKB 2016 installation folder within Windows Explorer. You will need to open the web.config file found in the root of your InstantKB 2016 folder within NotePad and update the database connection string to point to your restored & upgraded 2015-2 database. The default connection string is shown below...
<add name="InstantASP_ConnectionString" connectionString="Server=localhost;trusted_connection=true;database=InstantKB2015;" />
You can find your existing InstantKB 2015-2 database connection string within your InstantKB 2015-2 web.config and copy this into your InstantKB 2016 web.config.
4. Copy your InstantKB 2015 "Uploads" folder into the root of your new InstantKB 2016 folder. Overwrite the Uploads folder within InstantKB 2016 with your existing InstantKB 2015 Uploads folder.
5. Reapply any customizations you may have made to your previous InstantKB 2015 Classic skin to the newer InstantKB 2016 Classic skin.
Upgrading from an older release?
If your upgrading from an earlier version of InstantKB you may need to run additional database scripts. For example if your currently running InstantKB 2.0.1 you would need to run the following scripts in the order shown to fully upgrade your existing 2.0.1 database to the latest 2016 schema whilst keeping all your existing data...
You should always install the same version of the InstantKB files to march your InstantKB database version.
Copy Existing Uploads Folder
Copy your existing "Uploads" folder from your existing InstantKB 2015 installation folder into the root of your InstantKB 2016 folder. You will be prompted to overwrite the empty "Uploads" folder provided within the InstantKB 2016 installation. When prompted overwrite the empty InstantKB 2016 Uploads folder with your existing InstantKB 2015 Uploads folder. This will ensure uploads, profile pictures & images embedded within articles are still displayed correctly. If you don't copy the uploads folder profiles images & images embedded within articles may not appear after the upgrade.
The web.config file has changed quite substantially with 2016. For this reason we would suggest starting with the new InstantKB 2016 web.config file and not trying to add the newer 2016 tags to your existing InstantKB 2015 web.config file.
You will need to copy the database connection string from your existing InstantKB 2015 web.config and use this within your new InstantKB 2016 web.config.
We hope you enjoy the 2016 update. Should you have any questions or feedback please open a support ticket, contact us or post your questions within our community forums.